Monday, October 26, 2009

Whoever Humbles Himself Like This Child...






I have always loved children. When I was in college, I was a nanny to three lovely girls. They were my pride and joy. Dale and I used to joke that we were going to have 12 kids. Here we are half way to that number!

Many people look at us and think we are nuts. I think we are blessed! Another adoptive mom said on her blog that our children are the only thing we can take with us to heaven. That's why they are so worth our time and investment into their lives.

As I ponder why Jesus tells us to humble ourselves like a child, many things come to mind. First, children completely trust their parents. To those of us who have had good earthly parents, we did not wonder as children if our parents would take care of our needs. We just knew they would care for us. I would doubt my Heavenly Father less with caring for my needs if I went back to this simple faith.

Second, my kids are usually pretty good at doing whatever I ask of them. They may grumble, but seldom do they tell me outright that they will not do something. How many things has God aked me to do? Am I willing? Can I even hear what God is asking me to do or have I moved out of earshot. The closer I am to Him, the more likely I am to hear when He speaks. Ever notice how our children are usually under our feet? They just want to be close to us.

Oh, that I would humble myself like a child and sit at the feet of Jesus. May I listen to His every word and say "Yes, Daddy!" when He asks something of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment