Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Looking through a different lens






She was our fourth child...a pleasant addition to our family. With her arrival our family became even - 2 boys and 2 girls. Forever and always she has been our happiest child. Joy emminates around her.

Then, reality hit. She wasn't speaking and she was almost 3 years old. Several tests and doctors tried to figure her out. In the end, it was a diagnosis of a learning disability coupled with a language deficit barrier.

Life has been a struggle for her. Everything comes hard and she has to work 3 times harder than the average child. She is starting to realize that her brain doesn't always work like her peers. There is pain for me. What will a few more years bring to her realization?

Sometimes I want to change her and make it so she doesn't struggle. And then, God in His infinite wisdom gives me His eyes for just a moment. In that second, I wouldn't change her for the world!

We had just finished Church, and I went to gather all of the children together. I'm looking around, and see groups of people enjoying fellowship. As we are all guilty of it at one point or another, we gravitate towards those people we like - the ones that are easy to get along with. I scan through the people to see the most beautiful sight ever. My precious daughter had noticed all of the "unlovables"; the people who are in wheelchairs, the ones who drool and cannot care for themselves, the ones with broken bones and the ones who are lonely. One by one she ran up to each person and gave a hug and said, "You are so wonderful!"

She showed me life through a different lens. In fact, I saw my daughter exhibit more wisdom than people 10 times her age. She has been gifted with the ability to love beyond the exterior and to make each person feel valuable.

Lord, let me see people the way my baby girl sees them!

No comments:

Post a Comment