Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Introspection


Ever since I returned from Africa, I have spent a lot of time thinking about all that I saw. I'm not sure I have even been able to process half of what I witnessed. I will try to devote one post a day to something that made an impression on me. Today I am going to start with Northern Uganda, since that is what my most recent post is about. One of the last days we were in Soroti, we traveled northeast about 2 hours to a location where many people had been internally displaced. This place was unlike any other that we had seen prior. Indescribable hunger was all around us. There was no joy, no smiles, no songs to welcome us. Everywhere you looked, children had orange hair - a sign of malnutrition. Mothers tried to nurse babies, but it's hard to produce milk when you haven't eaten in days. I have been hungry. I have NEVER been starving. Two of my children have been, though. Once they were in such desparation that their birth moms made the difficult decision to give them up for adoption. Once, my daughter had orange hair.

If you saw my daughter today, you would never know that she was once in such dire circumstances. You know why? She has been given food, love and a family that cares for her well-being. You have the opportunity to make a difference in the life of a child (minus adoption costs :) ). Please consider sponsoring a child and make a long-term difference in his/her life. I am not promoting that it has to be with a certain organization. I have really liked what I have seen with Children's HopeChest and Compassion, though. If you cannot afford monthly supoport, would you consider donating 5, 10 or 15 dollars to Children's HopeChest to help feed a starving child like the girl in the photo? She is real. She is not just a picture. I met her. She really is starving. Click on the donate button on the sidebar if God is leading you to help the children of Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment